Barton tutoring – A new literacy service offered in Fredericton by LDANB!
Barton Reading and Spelling System
LDANB-TAANB is proud to be offering a new literacy program called the Barton Reading and Spelling System. This program aims to improve the reading, writing and spelling skills of school-aged children and adults alike who have low literacy levels due to reading difficulties or reading disabilities. Barton literacy is a specialized one-on-one tutoring system based on the Orton-Gillingham method that teaches the phonemic structure of our written language using a multi-sensory approach. This approach recognizes that individuals who have reading difficulties or reading disabilities learn best by involving all of their senses: visual, auditory, tactile and kinesthetic.
The Barton system is comprised of 10 levels beginning with phonemic awareness and consonants and progressing to more advanced levels such as vowel teams. The program is offered in 12-week blocks of sessions, with a one-hour-long tutoring session offered twice per week. The individual attention provided by Barton’s one-on-one tutoring approach will allow each individual to learn at their own pace based on their own specific literacy needs.
LDANB-TAANB is looking for people of all ages who struggle with reading difficulties and reading disabilities to receive specialized, one-on-one Barton tutoring. Call or email us today for more information or to register!
Who can benefit from the Barton Reading and Spelling System?
- Someone who can read and comprehend spoken English at the second grade level
- Someone who has an IQ of 70 or higher
- School-aged children or adults who struggle with reading, writing, and spelling
Where will the tutoring sessions take place?
- Tutoring sessions is offered in the greater Fredericton area and in Oromocto in a quiet and private classroom setting
When will the tutoring take place?
- The one-hour tutoring sessions take place twice a week, after school or in the early evening. If scheduling is a concern for you, contact us and we will try to make some accommodations to best suit your needs.
What are the fees for Barton tutoring services?
- LDANB-TAANB is a non-profit organization and strives to offer literacy services at the lowest possible cost. The Barton tutoring services cost $17.50 per session with a one-time administration fee of $50. If financial concerns are a barrier for you, please contact us to discuss possible subsidies for this service through LDANB-TAANB.
How do I register for Barton tutoring or how do I become a Barton tutor?
- If you would like to become a Barton Literacy student or tutorthrough LDANB-TAANB or if you know someone who could benefit from Barton tutoring, please contact our Education Officer, at (506) 459-7852 or via email at : email@example.com